Tuesday, October 14, 2008

MY FIRST 3 STUDENTS


Andrew Chin, Alix Chan and Jan Muir. They were great!!

I was a little nervous at first. Here were 3 people trusting me with their lives....."better do it right Nanda", I kept saying to myself. As we went along, their confidence grew and their confidence in me grew as well. I taught them the PADI way and of course added the Nanda way which they loved.

As usual, decending was the first problem we encountered. How to dive if you can get underwater la????? Haiyo!!! hehehehe!! Taught them how to exhale, relax, etc.

Once that was settled, then it was all about buoyancy control. Up and Down they went...and as a good instructor....so did I. We did the PADI buoyancy exercises over and over until they got them right. As Jan said, "You really must have patience to do this, Nanda!!!". Well, my honest feeling was that there is only one way to do things.....THE RIGHT WAY!!

At the end of the course, I achieved what I wanted:


1. All 3 of them knew what it meant to have good buoyancy and how it helps divers stay off the coral. The fact that they truly appreciate it was worth all the effort.

2. They knew that safety should NEVER be overlooked. Things that they should check for themselves and buddy checks were emphasised.

3. They saw the beauty of the underwater world and all it had to offer.

4. They enjoyed the after diving chats about anything and everything!!! (And the beers too!!!)

5. They ALL want to dive more!!!


It was a great close to the Malaysian East Coast dive season and I'm looking forward to 2009 when, I guess, my scuba instructing will take off at a larger scale.


Maya will be a year old and it will be time for the whole family to become beach bums again!!!! (Mary really misses the islands too!!!!)



The beach we left behind......sigh!!

3 comments:

Anba said...

Bro..
I just had my first experience in snorkeling mid this year somewhere around Pulau Pemangil near tioman .. m very sure you know this island very much bro...
being a person who doesn't know how to swim...
and just using the life jacket...me braved the waters...
It was really a wonderful experience to see the coral..fish...and the whole underworld beneath the waters ...
even though i just had puked into the waters... didnt know the fish enjoyed eating vomit..
i wondered then itslef...if snorkeling was that good...
imagine being able to dive and swim with the fishes..thas even better
...
i personally feel diving is great...must add to my list of things to do...
but first gotta learn how to swim...
tc bro...

nanda666 said...

hehe...let me know when you ready to dive...Premo will be doing the open water when the season opens in April 2009. I'm taking him down to Tioman.
Try to learn how to swim by then la.....
Anyway..for diving, you need to sink not swim, so no worries!!! Hehe!!
Yes.. the underwater world is just out there and the closest thing to space travel.

anfield devotee said...

good luck premo . . .