Monday, October 06, 2008

BABY MAKES THREE




Kind of just realized that I haven’t really written much about what’s going on in my life recently. What’s it like having a 6 month old little girl? How has it changed me?

I guess I’ll need to go back in time a little. To the time when it was just Mary and me. The times when we would be heading home from work and say, “Ahh….let’s swing by to Backyard for a pint”…and like the KITT car from Knight Rider, my car would make the GPS auto correction and get us to a cold pint of GUINNESS!!! No worries about what time we get home, in fact, no real worries at all. We would sleep in on weekends and only be up in time for lunch. (Which was also conveniently provided at mummy’s in Klang!!!) We’d go out for dinner and movies, meet some friends and hang out. Hell, we even threw some really cool parties at the renowned, BALCONY of Menara Duta!!

When Maya came along, the changes that came with her were “fast and furious” to say the least. She became the center of my world and everything revolved around her. Pool?? Backyard?? Diving?? They all became a distant memory.

The initial 3 months were the toughest. As new parents, we followed the books, some parental advice, tips from friends and for most of the time, gut feeling.

My parents were with us for the first month ONLY. Yup!! After that, it was Mary all on her own with Maya until I got home from work. Now how did she handle a crying baby, making lunch, doing the laundry and cleaning the house? I REALLY DON’T KNOW…But she did a great job!!

My duties on the other hand was, get home, make dinner, clean up and take care of Maya while Mary has a shower and some much needed rest.

All sound good and fine???????....NOT!!!

Think about it…..Mary is breast feeding so she’s on call 24 – 7. She is exhausted by the time I get home and can’t wait to handover our little “bundle of joy” to me. But I’m working the whole day and am equally exhausted!!
Opps….did I say “equally”???.....hehehehehe!!! No way did Mary agree on that one!!! After many heated “discussions” and some months in re-negotiations, the breakthrough deal was done!! We had a maid come in twice a week to assist Mary.
We also had the assistance of a “life saving” baby tool known as the BABY MONITOR. (They can make huge statues of this and I’ll pray to it!!! Hehehehehe!!) Gone were the days of sitting by her bed and the constant checking if we were in another room. This device was GOOD... or you could even say GOD………

Maid, Baby monitor, baby food, baby diapers, baby stuff, etc, etc, all becomes......baby financing!!! And boy or boy did it take some financing!! 2 sentences used to scare me when Mary said them....."WE NEED TO GET..." and "WE NEED TO BUY..."


And as some people would say that a baby brings good luck, I got promoted and got a raise too!!!

Now that we had figured out our time, our help, our surveillance system and our finances, we had to only figure out one last thing.

OUR BABY!!!

Is she crying because she is:
- Hungry?
- Tired?
- Sleepy?
- Wet?
- Poo Pood? (Or full of S@#T??)
- Teething?
- Wants to play?

This guessing game is SOOOOOOO much fun…really…especially when you get it right and the reward is that the crying stops!!! Hehehehe!! But honestly, she is a great baby and in all my life, I’ve never rushed home the way I do now.
An innocent and pure smile or laughter from her can light up my darkest days.

So for the guys at the party recently who asked the question, “Dude, what’s it like being married with a kid???”

IT IS GREAT!!

4 comments:

anfield devotee said...

Glad to see you finally saw the light!!! Remember when you first started this blog, you were BOASTING about you being a REGULAR pool shark & dive addict.

Me told you to cut the crap & start spending time with yer lil one!!! Hee hee.

Great to see you are enjoying parenthood.

Financing a kid - time to sell the beemer? hee hee

Unknown said...

Nanda: glad you're diving into fatherhood just as easily as it comes into the deep blue sea :))

am single parenting my 2 girls, and as much as drives me to insanity and newer levels each time, there's nothing in the world I'd trade for - kids just kinda change your whole view of the world :))

Maya is a cutie :))

nanda666 said...

I guess Mary n myself are quite real people who can chat on real issues with having and raising a child. It's easier now that we are more open about what we can and cannot handle.

Unknown said...

Nanda: And I guess you needed to say that twice for the effect *grin*

But I hear ya Nanda and that's how it works :)) best ... Congratulations to Maya, Mary and you ... because you guys are doing great with the family. Keep us posted on Maya's exploits :))