Wednesday, April 22, 2009

THE 11TH HOUR



Watched this documentary last night and it had quite an impact on me.
It had all the usual, " How humans are screwing up this planets' resources, how it is just unsustainable and how we drastically need to change the way we do things."
The only difference was that it showed how dependant we are to all these consumer products. How we are unable to move without vehicles, have food without grocery stores or just have fun without man made gadgets!!!
A lot of the blame seems to be going to the Oil & Gas giants like ExxonMobil, Shell, etc, etc, who have recorded a profit of USD 33 Billion last year.
Although I do agree that this is an absurd sum of money, shouldn't we also see that their products ensure we have fuel for the cars we drives and the planes we travel on???
I strongly feel that the entertainment industry is far worst. We pay million or even billions to subsidize entertainers with their extravagant lifestyles. what is their contribution actually worth???
Footballers, NBA & NFL stars, actors and actresses, SEGA, PLAYSTATION, XBOX, etc, etc. What amount of our income goes to stuff like this?????
Our world is slowly becoming unreal.
Humans shed tears for the likes of Liverpool and Man U but barely blink at death tolls of a major disaster. (Unless it's football related!!)

We play futsal on artificial grass under floodlights.....Why????? Toooo hot la in the day time!!! Too busy working to make money la!!!
I do agree that I too spend a considerable time of my day to "make ends meet" but are my "ends" too far from reality???? Do I really need to renovate my house??? Do I really need another car????
Well, the answer for me as of yesterday is NO!!
Me and Mary, for the benefit of Maya and her generation, are going to start to do things different from today. This is our plan and hopefully, it will be adopted by my buddies too!!
1. Reduce the use of lights, fan and AC.
2. Use my balcony to plant food. (My mom used to do this in our garden in Klang so I don't see why I can't do it.) Plants that can be grown are chillies, herbs, brinjals, tomatoes, etc, etc.
3. Spend more time together with my family and friends without TV and other gadgets.
4. Play outdoors more. (I do play tennis and my diving does get me outdoors too.)
5. Eat organic and buy products that are from sustainable sourses. (Fish, furniture, etc.)
6. Get my condo to have recycling facilities for plastics, metal and glass products.
7. STOP SPENDING MONEY ON LUXURIES!! (Yup! I'll just keep the beemer as the one and only luxury item!! But it's already 9 years old so I doubt it's a luxury item any more!! Hehehe!!)
Well, that's all I can do for now but I'll be looking into other means of reducing my "Carbon footprint" on this planet and will keep you guys updated.
"SAVE THE TREES, SAVE THE WORLD!!!"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

**major thumbs up** - Nanda it is for us to make the difference ... let me know if you keen to join my little prog ... dunno if I will get any responses but so far I've gotten 2 contributors :)) not bad eh?

anfield devotee said...

Tried growing cili padi. Fooking recent heatwave blitzed the plant la.

Am doing quite a few things on that list already.