Monday, June 16, 2008

The death of humanity



As I keep one eye on the news and one eye on the things happening around me, I feel a shiver....

We talk of rising fuel cost and how we are "suffering". Yet we have a roof over our head, meals on our tables, electricity and water like "magic" as we hit buttons on the walls.

While trying hard to save the turtles, sharks and other indangered species, it made me think of one species that may really need help too!!

OURS!

What have we, as a society, done for the victims of the Tsunami? Hurricane Katrina? Earthquakes and floods in india and China? Starving kids in the middle east and Africa?

They collected donations from large nations that amounted to what????...a few million dollars???

Yet we spend billions in sports and entertainment. Billions on space exploration and weapons programmes.

It's scary to watch MTV or other stuff that have the richest people in the world "throwing" money on luxury homes and yatchs while half of the world have there homes destroyed by wars and adverse weather.




For me, it has become so easy to switch channels and watch football once the CNN coverage of earthquakes and its victims becomes too sad to view.

If I don't see it, it didn't happen? Is this what I'm doing?? I don't know.

With a family, a house, a car and bills to pay, I still owe more than I own. Is this just what I say to convince myself that I'm a victim too??? So I don't need to help??? Do I reduce a couple of pints? Do I buy a cheaper carpet? car?
Or wait for the richest people of the planet to do something? Bono? I don't know..

If we look deep inside ourselves, I'm sure we all wanna help.

How, ...is the question......

3 comments:

anfield devotee said...

Yes, we are a nation of moaners & whingers. Agreed.

But charity begins at home.

First off, use the Petronas billions to help the lower income groups.

Bin all mega projects. Instead build schools, hospitals & dare me even suggest it, toll-free roads into over crowded areas.

Agriculture projects to be given max priority in land rich states of Sabah & Sarawak. Imagine if the money was used fer boosting agriculture instead of a useless space programme.

Cut public expenditure ie the useless things all municipal councils like mpbj & dbkl waste OUR money on. eg. Ceremonial robes & mace fer council meetings / numerous campaigns with some Menteri Besar's face on the poster etc etc.

Many accusse us of having a subsidy mentality. But we cannot be competitive of we are suddenly thrown in the deep end, can we?

nanda666 said...

the "How" was more an individual, internal thing...nothing political...

This was just how I felt...and wondering how I can do something...

anfield devotee said...

How? Run this bunch of shamens & crooks out of office fer starters . . .